Staring at the little blinking cursor trying desperately to think of ways to promote your product or your brand but not wanting to come across as smarmy or desperate?
Yeah you are.
I've been jotting down some ideas lately that I'm hoping will grow into one almighty super-definitive list. Feel free to comment with your own ideas!
Right. Let's do this.
Topics Worth Tweeting About
- Thank people who have started to follow you. It's polite and makes them feel all warm and fuzzy.
- News snippets. What's happening in your industry?
- Customer feedback on a new product.
- NEW PRODUCTS (just don't go all sales-pitchy on people - they don't like it)
- Latest updates from your blog (don't use a feed-grabber though - post human-style)
- Social media updates. Is Facebook bringing out a cool new line of clothing? Tweet about it!
- Teaser posts - what are you working on? What's coming soon?
- How are your customers using your products?
- If you have ongoing clients - promote them! Particularly if they're talented like mine.
- Tips and tricks for your products
- Job openings. Thinking about hiring? Your die-hard fans might be a great place to start!
- Popular events - any major sporting or cultural events happening?
- Hash-tag participation (Twitter only) - jump right in and join in the conversation!
- Re-tweet posts that are pertinent to your customers interests
- Follow Friday! #FF. Get involved and show your gratitude
- Product or Service trivia - history, developments - you name it!
- Sales announcements (be sure to read the terms and conditions if you're having a Facebook Sale)
- Employee of the week. Why not!
- Fan of the week. Just kidding. DON'T GO TO THE DARK SIDE. Unless you have cookies to share with the winners.
- Greet your fans with cheery messages. The occasional motivational/humorous poster doesn't go astray either.
- Events you may be holding or participating in
- Generate conversation. Encourage sharing and liking - but be careful not to breach any T&Cs
- Create contests (ensure that you use a 3rd party app if you're using Facebook)
- Respond to customer feedback - don't delete criticism unless it's overly harsh. It can be an opportunity if you let it.
- Share a song. I occasionally post YouTube videos from my "Design Soundtrack". It's a great conversation starter.
- Share great deals or articles from other businesses.
- Support causes or charities.
- Post photos of your products/services in use.
- Create a poll
- Wish someone Happy Birthday
- Share a daily snippet of wisdom.
- Ask fans to contribute ideas for future blog posts
- Share a funny or touching video
- Ask for feedback when testing a new product.
- FOLLOW BACK - especially on Twitter.
- Share a quote. Quotes are the #1 re-tweeted topic on Twitter.
- Listen to what customers want and respond accordingly.
- Share neat things happening in your community
- Be human and authentic. Did one of your kids do something great or cringe-worthy? Share it!
- Give USEFUL advice
- Don't continually talk about how awesome you are. Talk about how awesome other people are too.
- How do your employees use company products/services? Show them LOVING their job.
- Found a cafe with kick-ass coffee AND free wi-fi? SHARE THE LOVE.
- Create a flowchart and share it. You never know - it might go viral!
- New testimonials that you've received recently.
- Are you on Instagram, Pinterest, FourSquare, Tumblr or Stumbleupon? Share!
How do you reach out to customers on Social Networks? OR...have you seen any really interesting and rad strategies around the interwebz?
Leave a comment below and I'll add it to the list! Hell - leave a comment even if you have nothing to add to the list!